12 February 2006

Where's the love?

I read a New York Times article in today's paper that told of the lack of corporate sponsors for this year's Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Click here the article. Only Glad Products has stepped up in any meaningful way! I'm a big fan of generic and store brands (namely 'cause I'm cheap), but I will make a point of buying Glad trash bags from now on.

Still, I just don't get it. In sports, it seems that everything is sponsored. The Sugar Bowl patch on my FSU jersey has the Nokia logo in a font larger than the name of the bowl game. Where is Nokia? Or Tostitos? Or FedEx? New Orleans was even offering naming rights! No beer or liquor company saw the gold mine of publicity in this? Come on, "Captain Morgan's Mardi Gras" would be a slam dunk. We Americans have such a short attention span.

On a lighter note, I can't believe that I blogged about a NOLA issue prior to Doctor Daisy....

2 Comments:

Blogger phdaisy said...

Here is another article on the sponsorship issue.

10:57 PM  
Blogger phdaisy said...

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/tpupdates/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_tpupdates/archives/2006_02_17.html#114040

Did I not include the link before?

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home