26 March 2006

The Lake Wobegon effect, cont.

The Major's comment is correct. We are really not teaching personal responsibility much anymore. Students expect that they will always excel. I had a student tell me last semester, "I can't understand how you gave me a B. I've never gotten a B on an English assignment in my life." I wanted to respond, "Then your teachers have had astoundingly low expectations!" Of course, I did not say that istead, I tried to explain that there was nothing wrong with her answer, it just was rather pedestrian.... As my mentor said, "An A should be a paper marked by conspicuous excellence."

Protecting kids from failure is a poor way to prepare them for life. I certainly was not protected from failure. When I was in elementary school, I rarely finished my work for the week; thus, I was unable to go outside to play on Fridays. I was held accountable. This experience did not scar me academically, obviously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home