09 February 2007

Adult Chili Number 5 Rules!

Tonight was a local charity event to raise money for the local charter school. It was a square dance and chili cook-off. We are good friends with the event's organizer, so I threw my hat in the ring for the chili cook-off. I've always made good chili, if I do say so myself. However, I usually use Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit as a base. I did not feel right about using a mix for a contest, even just as a base; thus, Doc's Down South Chocolate Chili was born. (Yes, I do put a bit of grated unsweetened chocolate in it, much like a Mexican molé sauce.) There were nine entries (I was number 5), and most of them were quite good (especially the seafood chili and the chipotle vegetarian chili). Regardless, my chili won! For my culinary efforts, we get a night in a whirlpool suite at a resort up in the Dells. Woo hoo! Now I can call my concoction Doc's Award-Winning Down South Chocolate Chili....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another twist to the evening - the only student I've scolded ALL YEAR was at the event. Sigh. Her chili WAS good (but not as good as Adult Chili #5 - it REALLY was the BEST.)
-Brigheon

9:52 PM  
Blogger phdaisy said...

Congrats!!! Those Dells looked funny to me when we drove past them on the way to Winona, but I'm sure that's all part of the charm of the MidWest! :)

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home