19 February 2006

The arrogance of academia....

Today, Brigheon and I visited a church that we had only gone to one other time (three weeks ago). We have felt more welcome and at home there than any other church that we have attended in Tampa. It's a shame that we found this church only five months before we are leaving.

Anyway, the musical director wanted to introduce me to a professor whom I did not know. He ran over during the exchange of the peace (where people greet one another), and said to the other professor, "I want you to meet the man sitting right behind you. He is at your university also!" She must have assumed that I was a student (which is funny, since I am in my late thirties). She said, "Hello. My name is Dr. Ellgood. But you can call me Jean." I replied, "It's nice to meet you. My name is Dr. Generalist. But you can call me Flex." (Obviously, these are not our real names.) She seemed a bit embarrassed to have taken such a condescending tone. I told my wife afterwards that if I EVER introduced myself to a non-student as "Dr. Generalist" that she should whack me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home