25 February 2006

A further comment about single malts....

I noticed there was another visitor to this site from someone searching for scotch tasting notes. I do have some brief comments about ten single-malts from earlier in the month, but I want to add a few comments. If anyone is looking to me for advice about scotch, then I want to mention my favorites.

My normal scotch of choice is Laphroaig 10 Year. I bought may first bottle after seeing a billboard in the London Tube that said something along the lines of "We make one guarantee-- you will either love our product or hate it." That seemed to me to be a gutsy slogan, so I bought a bottle. It's an odd choice for one's first single-malt, since Islay malts are the strongest flavored of all the single malts-- very peaty and almost medicinal. Still, I loved it. For a celebration gift to myself last month (when I was offered the job in Wisconsin), I treated myself to a bottle of the Laphroaig 15 Year. Magic.

The other scotch that I really like is The Macallan. Because of price, I usually get the 12 year. Macallan is so smooth and silky. If Laphroaig is like a really strong Cuban maduro cigar, then Macallan is like a Macanudo. Both are wonderful, but they are very different.

The best scotch that I have ever tasted was courtesy of my best friend, The Major. The Major took me and Brigheon to dinner at Bern's. He ordered a small glass for Brigheon of The Macallan Royal Marriage, a vatting of the 1948 and 1961 vintages, bottled to commemorate the marriage of His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, 1981. (1948 was the birth year of Charles, and 1961 was the birth year of Diana.) A bottle then cost about $100; today, it would fetch about $500. The Major is a good friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home