10 June 2006

Midwest noir?

We just got home from seeing A Prairie Home Companion. We liked it very much. I'd give it an A-. Overall, Altman caught the spirit of the show. It really felt that we were watching the radio show being taped and even had backstage passes!

*** MILD SPOILER ALERT ***

I had a few complaints. They needed to sing the Powdermilk Biscuit song, and GK needed to give a "news from Lake Wobegon" monologue. I'm not sure how I feel about Guy Noir being reduced to a bumbling idiot... but what a femme fatale!

Robert Altman directed the bizarre adaptation of The Long Goodbye back in 1973.

1 Comments:

Blogger scubaprashant said...

I don't understand how they could've left out News from Lake Wobegon. And why Guy Noir was played as he was in the film escapes me. Either way, I'm not disturbed because I saw the film out of curiosity. I'm more than content with the radio broadcast. Oh and when I do visit *one day*, it'll most definitely be during a broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion. We will all have a blast...And then we will eat Wisconsin BBQ. I don't even know if it is famous, but everything up north is supposed to be better, right?

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home