24 April 2007

Whenever anyone asked my grandfather what he wanted for any gift, he always gave the same reply:

“A smile and a kind word.”

When I was a child, I thought that was a silly answer.

The older I get, the more that I realize how wise Grandy’s answer was.

On an unrelated note, one of my favorite students was killed yesterday in a car accident. Megan was a bit punk, with a few piercings, a few tattoos, a sarcastic attitude, a sharp mind and wit, and a five-year-old son. Sigh. There is no joy in Mudville today.

Give someone a smile and a kind word today. They might need it, and you might not get another chance.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A smile and a kind word...

I'm so sorry about your student. How sad!

Grandy and Nana's birthdays are almost here.

Congratulations, Professor Cool!

What course are you trying to get students to sign up for?

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home